Search

Showcattle.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 36
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

OZZIE FEEDERS
Trial Account

Trial Account
10/24/2014 3:09:20 AM reply with quote send message to OZZIE FEEDERS Object to Post

posted by SRB Farming
posted by BLG Prairie
posted by SRB Farming
The whole 'show' aspect of this game is flawed. You can see this by the natural evolution towards feedlots. The judging is a total joke. Prize money sucks. Terminal shows sneak up on unsuspecting newbies.

Not sure how much longer I'll keep playing this game.

Can you explain in more detail what you believe is flawed about the show aspect of the game?

To do well in shows it is not rocket science, I took time to read the judges comments and and analyze the animals that are winning and I started breeding animals that the judges are more likely to like.

That is the flaw, why breed to a judges likes and dislikes, it's how close to the breed standard that a show animal conforms that it must be judged on!

SRB you dont show in real life do you here in the real world i show every year and rarely does the breeder I show for get better than 2nd But come Bull Sale time he offers 20 bulls in a 100 bull multi vendor sale and only in the last few years has he passed in a bull and has topped the average more than once, my point is that showing is all about the judges likes/dislikes
 organ cave show cattle.
Trial Account

Trial Account
10/24/2014 6:44:13 AM reply with quote send message to organ cave show cattle. Object to Post

ozzie feeders that makes 0 sense
 Heather530
Trial Account

Trial Account
10/24/2014 8:02:52 AM reply with quote send message to Heather530 Object to Post

I wasn't complaining about my 4k in AU fees at all. I was simply stating that if I wish to continue to grow in the game and be able to compete (which I plan to do) I must bite the bullet and do it. I don't wish to play the slow version of the game. I want to have enough money in the bank to be able to purchase that 50-100k animal when it becomes available. I also however realize that no matter what this game takes patience and smarts.

It's what is fun about it. I think this game is fun. I like the social aspect of it and somehow through all of this AU drama, that part remains the same. I will keep playing this game because it makes me happy and I like trying to figure out ways to make the cattle better and how to make myself stand out in the days ahead.

I hope everyone will remember the reason they started playing this game and will remember that in the end, it's a game. Have fun!!

Trial Account

Trial Account
10/24/2014 10:46:45 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

posted by OZZIE FEEDERS
posted by SRB Farming
posted by BLG Prairie
posted by SRB Farming
The whole 'show' aspect of this game is flawed. You can see this by the natural evolution towards feedlots. The judging is a total joke. Prize money sucks. Terminal shows sneak up on unsuspecting newbies.

Can you explain in more detail what you believe is flawed about the show aspect of the game?

To do well in shows it is not rocket science, I took time to read the judges comments and and analyze the animals that are winning and I started breeding animals that the judges are more likely to like.

That is the flaw, why breed to a judges likes and dislikes, it's how close to the breed standard that a show animal conforms that it must be judged on!

SRB you dont show in real life do you here in the real world i show every year and rarely does the breeder I show for get better than 2nd But come Bull Sale time he offers 20 bulls in a 100 bull multi vendor sale and only in the last few years has he passed in a bull and has topped the average more than once, my point is that showing is all about the judges likes/dislikes

I have had the pleasure of showing beef & dairy breeds while at agric boarding high school, not to brag but I was placed 1st in the Simmentaler Breeders Society judging course. I have the credentials. I have seen judges with personal likes and dislikes just like us men have likes and dislikes when checking out woman (sorry to any female players, but us men are dogs). I've seen judges with personal grudges against breed societies that they themselves belong to. Why set a standard for conformity and not stick to it?

I'm not sure what you are talking about with your bull sale comments. Our family bred our own commercial breed and had an annual bull sale selling 80+ bulls, we competed (I'm talking bull sales)with and beat the large established breed societies and their pure bred animals because we never waivered from our standards. No other farmer in the country sold that many bulls on their own.
 BLG Prairie
Trial Account

Trial Account
10/24/2014 12:49:13 PM reply with quote send message to BLG Prairie Object to Post

posted by SRB Farming
posted by BLG Prairie
posted by SRB Farming

SRB are you saying that you would like to see breed standards added to the game? I think that would be an interesting challenge added to the game.
Right now this is what I view as the "Standards" for which I breed and show by. www.showcattle.com/help/topic.aspx?id=21

Trial Account

Trial Account
10/24/2014 3:03:38 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

posted by BLG Prairie
posted by SRB Farming
posted by BLG Prairie
posted by SRB Farming

SRB are you saying that you would like to see breed standards added to the game? I think that would be an interesting challenge added to the game.
Right now this is what I view as the "Standards" for which I breed and show by. www.showcattle.com/help/topic.aspx?id=21

asinine thoughts such as this are why i try to stay out of the forums.....
 IndianaJim
Trial Account

Trial Account
10/24/2014 3:21:10 PM reply with quote send message to IndianaJim Object to Post

asinine thoughts such as this are why i try to stay out of the forums.....
Maybe you should try harder.
 SRB Farming
Trial Account

Trial Account
10/25/2014 2:10:36 AM reply with quote send message to SRB Farming Object to Post

posted by BLG Prairie
posted by SRB Farming
posted by BLG Prairie
posted by SRB Farming

Those are the standards I'm talking about (the real breed standards would be difficult to implement). I think a points based system would be much better. A 7.0 frame would get say 10 points & for every .1 you go above or below you get less points, the same for legs. Neck, bone, muscle, capacity etc. the bigger the better with bigger scores for higher numbers.
 Woodlands Brahman and Blonds
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/25/2014 4:03:28 AM reply with quote send message to Woodlands Brahman and Blonds Object to Post

posted by SRB Farming
posted by BLG Prairie
posted by SRB Farming
posted by BLG Prairie
posted by SRB Farming

Those are the standards I'm talking about (the real breed standards would be difficult to implement). I think a points based system would be much better. A 7.0 frame would get say 10 points & for every .1 you go above or below you get less points, the same for legs. Neck, bone, muscle, capacity etc. the bigger the better with bigger scores for higher numbers.

I like this idea. I would also like to see the points devided based on the animals age... at the moment you could have a 16 day old calf that for its breed has amazing figures... but until its one of the oldest in its age group it won't place... this is not a true representation of how showing happens in rl...
 CODYTODDS CHAROLAIS
Trial Account

Trial Account
10/25/2014 4:15:41 AM reply with quote send message to CODYTODDS CHAROLAIS Object to Post

Any judge will always pick on you for the biggest flaw in their herd or flock. That's part of showing.
 CODYTODDS
Trial Account

Trial Account
10/25/2014 4:27:51 AM reply with quote send message to CODYTODDS Object to Post

No Message.
 Rex Ranch
Trial Account

Trial Account
10/25/2014 9:11:06 AM reply with quote send message to Rex Ranch Object to Post

Woodlands BB, I hear what you are saying. However, even a slight age difference reveals more about the characteristics of an animal. For instance, at the NAILE in Louisville two weeks from now, the Angus April heifer class will have at least 12 animals. An animal born April 1st is 229 days old and weighs 600 pounds for a WDA (80 pound birth weight) of 2.27 . In that same class, an animal born two weeks later with the exact same WDA weighs 568. Even in an age when moderate size means everything, the smaller animal is going to appear less muscular with less capacity and maybe even less femininity than the animal that is 14 days older. In those young animal classes where the age range is 30 days, you could potentially have 68 pounds of difference on animals of the exact same quality.

This has always been a problem. Showcattle.com teaches us all extremely valuable lessons that will prove worthwhile. Yet, if we are here to play a game and not to learn, then we will not appreciate the education from the simulation. In a calf class a showcattle.com you could have animals 14 days old competing against animals that are 29 days old. The younger ones shouldn't be able to compete until they get to 22 to 24 days old. That is exactly how it works in the real world.
 Woodlands Brahman and Blonds
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/25/2014 7:46:53 PM reply with quote send message to Woodlands Brahman and Blonds Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Rex Ranch
Woodlands BB, I hear what you are saying. However, even a slight age difference reveals more about the characteristics of an animal. For instance, at the NAILE in Louisville two weeks from now, the Angus April heifer class will have at least 12 animals. An animal born April 1st is 229 days old and weighs 600 pounds for a WDA (80 pound birth weight) of 2.27 . In that same class, an animal born two weeks later with the exact same WDA weighs 568. Even in an age when moderate size means everything, the smaller animal is going to appear less muscular with less capacity and maybe even less femininity than the animal that is 14 days older. In those young animal classes where the age range is 30 days, you could potentially have 68 pounds of difference on animals of the exact same quality.

This has always been a problem. Showcattle.com teaches us all extremely valuable lessons that will prove worthwhile. Yet, if we are here to play a game and not to learn, then we will not appreciate the education from the simulation. In a calf class a showcattle.com you could have animals 14 days old competing against animals that are 29 days old. The younger ones shouldn't be able to compete until they get to 22 to 24 days old. That is exactly how it works in the real world.

I hear what you are saying, however I do disagree. Am happy to agree to disagree tho, dont get me wrong.

I have judged shows and have also exhibited cattle for years, and have never had a problem taking age into consideration when comparing animals. Yes you do 'crystal ball' a little, however when looking at muscle pattern etc you are comparing it to the rest of that particular animal and determining the ratio of muscle to bone/fat etc, not just looking and going that one has a ema of 110 and that one has an ema of 95 so the one with 110 is the better animal...

The one with 110 ema could be 18 months old and the one with 95 only 11 months, therefor the 11 month old calf has the better eye muscle than the one with 110, because for his age he is in front. even without the raw data you would be able to see this... and this is where I would like to see age taken into more consideration...
just my findings happy :)

-----
Last edited by Woodlands Brahman and Blonds on 10/25/2014 7:48:13 PM
 Dawson Cattle Co.
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/26/2014 11:23:32 AM reply with quote send message to Dawson Cattle Co. Object to Post

My 2 cents on this matter, I think if you can't handle the changes then do not play. On the whole show problems. Yes, maybe steer classes need to be changed a little so they are profitable for most of the top end steers at the terminals. As for breeding cattle getting more money and/or trophies, I like the idea of some money in breeding stock but I think trophies is a useless idea. I think that is just more added stress for Jeff. And lastly a point system SRB said is a bad idea, if you can't figure out how to play now then you to try a little harder and put more time in the game. If you do not what to do that, do not complain just do feeders or something that easier.

Just my thoughts, if you have a problem with them just let me know in a personal message, I will listen to your thoughts and consider them.

Cody
 Iowa Elite Simmentals
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/27/2014 9:58:11 PM reply with quote send message to Iowa Elite Simmentals Object to Post

The darn HINDLEG gets me everytime! lol
 Arrow BK Ranch
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/28/2014 8:12:41 AM reply with quote send message to Arrow BK Ranch Object to Post

posted by Iowa Elite Simmentals
The darn HINDLEG gets me everytime! lol
Me too!

Replies in this thread : 36
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>