Search

Showcattle.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : price for feaders
 Messrs
Trial Account

System.__ComObject
12/26/2017 10:54:18 AM reply with quote send message to Messrs Object to Post   

why has the price of feeder cattle got so high in the last few months
i dont understand since the price the packer pays hasnt got any bigger so why has the buy price got so high we are at 900-1000 $ per head cost with a payout of only 1300 - 1450$
 KL Farms
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/26/2017 11:23:14 AM reply with quote send message to KL Farms Object to Post

Basic economics. Supply and demand. If you want feeders that you can't supply yourself, you then pay for them what the market will bear. I see feeders on here for 400 to 600 each all the time. I'm not sure where you are coming up with 900 to 1000. Feeder heifers? People have found a market for greens north of 1500 for the right ones, so that may be what you are seeing.
 Dragon Hill Genetics
Trial Account

Trial Account
12/26/2017 1:38:04 PM reply with quote send message to Dragon Hill Genetics Object to Post

High Framed heifers have a different market than feeders do. Because you can retain the heifers for future breeding of more High Frames and make more money. And they are also retained for use as "greens"(recips).

Feeder bulls/steers can't. Their destination is market only. Most feeder bulls/steers are sold for $400-600 between 0-4 days old.

Replies in this thread : 2