Search

Showcattle.com Forum · Suggestions

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : Call Vet for Lost Pregnancies
 Diversify
Agricultural Educator

System.__ComObject
3/13/2018 1:28:02 PM reply with quote send message to Diversify Object to Post   

So pretty much everyone I've talked to has HUGE losses of calves at birthing time, (over and above the 5% loss of failure rate) Someone was saying its around 19%-20% of calves for them! (unless you are doing embryo's then you get dead calves that are living? strangely enough)

Personally with this HUGE loss at birthing time of calves, it would make sense to me, to have a "pay Vet Call button"

Obviously it wouldn't be free, but in RL if you had a cow with problems, you could call the vet, or step in yourself to help the cow along.

So it only makes sense to have a "Call Vet" button on the cow that is having problems, for a say... 80% chance of saving the lost calf?

(you would get a problem calving message for each cow when you log in, and then would have to go directly to that cows page to click the Call Vet button.)

Or more simply pay a Daily fee to have a Vet on call to have an 80% chance of saving calves that are having trouble birthing.

What would you like to see?
Call Vet for Lost Pregnancies
Pay to have a Vet On Call (higher cost) for all your cows 37.41%
Call vet button on individual cows (lower cost) 16.55%
Leave it as it is 46.04%
62 Total Votes | Votes from premium users carry more weight.
 Big Bull Semen Farm
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/9/2018 9:37:59 PM reply with quote send message to Big Bull Semen Farm Object to Post

I agree, THanks for this
 Advantage Cattle
Trial Account

Trial Account
10/9/2018 10:18:37 PM reply with quote send message to Advantage Cattle Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I'm not saying that this is the issue that you are having but Birth Weight is a factor in calf deaths. The higher the difference in BW between the bull and cow increases the chances of dead calves.

When people started breeding HF Gelbs years ago they bred their BW's down to around 70lb to minimize deaths, not sure if HF breeders still pay attention to it these days or not.

Edited to say I didn't notice this was an old post that was dragged up.

-----
Last edited by Advantage Cattle on 10/9/2018 10:19:39 PM
 Big B Land and Cattle Company
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/10/2018 9:59:35 AM reply with quote send message to Big B Land and Cattle Company Object to Post

I can understand the want for something like this, but I don't have anywhere near a 20% loss. Currently, I'm losing 3%-7% of my calves. High frame, low BW.

Replies in this thread : 3