Search

Showcattle.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : What should I be focusing on to do well in this game?
 Blayz11
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
10/8/2018 8:39:14 PM reply with quote send message to Blayz11 Object to Post   

I want to have top quality animals that I can show and sell at decent prices. However, I only have a few head and am struggling to do well. I currently only have about a $5,000 balance and only a few head of cattle. I also struggle to sell cattle and almost always get less than slaughter price on them. What could I do to become a more prominent name in this community and just do better in general?
 Cayman Island
Agricultural Educator

Agricultural Educator
10/8/2018 9:07:54 PM reply with quote send message to Cayman Island Object to Post

Feeders, feeders, and more feeders. till you can afford show stock. to get into a breed where you will show competitive and have good animals to sell it will cost some money. Id set a goal balance of roughly 5 mil before you start looking at show stock.
 Mountain Range Ranch
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/8/2018 9:50:57 PM reply with quote send message to Mountain Range Ranch Object to Post

Feeders Cayman is Right about that. PM And I will hook you up with a show quality calve.
 Blayz11
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/10/2018 12:23:39 PM reply with quote send message to Blayz11 Object to Post

WHat stats should I look for in feeders? And what age should I sell them at?
 Lucky J Feeders
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/10/2018 12:44:35 PM reply with quote send message to Lucky J Feeders Object to Post

High frame feeders will grow the fastest and black cattle will bring a premium at market. Here is a link to an earlier discussion about the best age to send to market.
www.showcattle.com/forum/read.aspx?id=89629
 KingPocosStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/10/2018 3:20:15 PM reply with quote send message to KingPocosStar Object to Post

I wouldn’t say you need millions to start showing. Don’t bother selling your cattle in auction until you’ve nailed down higher frames or good show quality stats. Build up to around 50 head of feeder breeders. Stats don’t have to be anything great at first, but look for decent frames. 13 frame Simmental will do. Build about $150k up, then buy some “okay” show cattle. They don’t have to be the greatest to start. Show them and learn what top stats are in your chosen breed, and you will get better quickly. I’ve been showing seriously for about 3 months and I’m doing pretty well in my opinion.

Replies in this thread : 5